Saturday, February 21, 2009

signs of Spring






We have had a bit of warm weather here between the needed rain storms. The bluebirds are checking out the nest box, watched over by the swallows who would also like to use it. Last year I lost the nestlings to the heat so I have planted a lemon tree to the west of the nest box. I don't think it will help them this year but maybe we will have a cool spring and they can successfully raise their young.



The first of the daffodils and tulips are blooming and the hummingbirds are getting active.



Another period of stormy weather is due to start tonight. We are keeping our fingers crossed that we will get enough moisture over the next several weeks to bring us up to normal percipitation for the year. Even that would not be enough to fill the resevoirs.

2 comments:

Diane AZ said...

Wow, beautiful photos! I've never seen bluebirds first hand, only in pictures. Your bluebirds sure do look interested in that nesting box. It's great to see hummingbirds perch like that and take a rest after all that wing flapping they do.

Lindy said...

Hi Martha!

Lots of (much needed) rain in Southern California, too! It doesn't keep the birds from coming out, though, does it. While it was storming the other day I had a male Anna's Hummingbird seeking shelter in a Cape Mallow right outside my office window and a beautiful male dove sitting on my fence getting pelted by the rain. You are so lucky to have the bluebirds. I get to see them only when I'm camping.

Nice capture of the hummingbird in the tree, by the way. Mine like to perch at the highest point of the trees, making it difficult to photograph. I've hung multiple hummingbird feeders so I can bring them in close enough to shoot (camera), but it's been too cold and rainy to take any good ones, yet.

Keep up the good work! Much enjoyable!

Lindy

P.S. Good luck with your bird box this season! Please keep us updated :)