Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Birding at San Pablo Bay

 When we go to the San Francisco area I like to stop at one of the California DFG wildlife viewing sites along San Pablo bay.  I never know what I might see.
It was a windy day and the viewing an photography were difficult.  I did see several Canvas Backs bobbing in the water.
I believe this is a female lesser scaup.
These Sanderlings were hunkered down in the marsh grasses, avoiding the wind I would guess.
As usual, feel free to correct me if I am wrong on my IDs.
San Pablo Bay is north and adjacent to the San Francisco Bay.  A nice route for the birder as there are several places to pull off the road and check out the birds.
  























Hang Loose?
Back home I finally saw the crests on the Double Crested Cormorant.  I was beginning to wonder about the name!





























And a Marsh Wren stayed in sight long enough for me to snap a picture.  I hear them frequently but they are shy and hide in the cattails.





You can find more birds at World Bird Wednesday, hosted by Springman.

26 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Wonderful birds for the day, Martha! I love the Double Crested Cormorant!! Enjoy your day!!

Sylvia

Karen said...

Great shots! Love the double crests on that guy!

HansHB said...

Nice pics, - great post!
Happy WBW!

Unknown said...

Love those crests!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Nature Rambles said...

Wonderful captures! my favourite is of course the crests!!

theconstantwalker said...

Your birds are wonderful to see Martha..I hope all's well.
Hugs Andrew xx

Linda said...

lovely bird photos.

Maude Lynn said...

What a pretty little wren! I really enjoyed these.

mick said...

Photographing the Cormorant like that is just perfect! I also like the shorebirds sheltering down in the grass.

joo said...

Lovely collection of birds!

eileeninmd said...

Great birds and sightings! The cormorant is cool and I love the cute wren!

Springman said...

Great shots, how rare it is to see those double crests!
;-)WBW!

Debbie said...

wonderful sightings! nice detail on the cormorant, love the poofs!

Linda Reeder said...

Wrens are so quick, and hard to capture. I love the crests on the cormorant!

Fjällripan said...

What a great birding day! Those sanderlings are so beautiful and the cormorant is very cool!

Brian King said...

Love your photos, Martha! Beautiful ducks and that cormorant shot is wonderful!

Stewart M said...

Hi there - seems it's cormorant week! Very nice shot!

I'm sad to say mine only has one crest!

Cheers - Stewart M - Australia

Anonymous said...

Wow! The Double-crested Cormorant is really cool!

EG CameraGirl said...

I bet the marsh wren is very hard to get in amongst the cattails. Wow, the cormorant really DOS have crests!

Tammie Lee said...

beautiful critters Martha.

LindyLouMac said...

Lovely to see the sun glistening on the water.

Anonymous said...

Love the Marsh Wren photo!

Janie said...

Love the double crests! They seem to be blowing in the wind.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

That was some great birding. I've always thought that I've never seen a double-crested cormorant, but now I wonder....I'll be watching for that, maybe some of the many we see around here are doubles and I've just never caught them at the right moment.

The marsh wren is a wonderful catch.

Harun Ar said...

Posting gambar indah cantik menarik....
TQ

Kathie Brown said...

Nice shots of some very cool birds! Love the cormorant,even if it is from the back! I never see the crests either!