Friday, July 26, 2013

Critters of Glacier National Park

We saw plenty of wildlife on our recent trip to Glacier.  Unfortunately they did not sit still and pose.  A better wildlife photographer than I would spend all day in a blind, camera on tripod, waiting.  Unfortunately, my tripod broke in transit and I didn't have the time needed to patiently wait.
Our most exciting encounter was with this bull moose.  It was in the grass near the dock when we got off the boat in the Many Glacier area.  Considered more dangerous than a grizzly, he was none too happy to see us.
Less threatening was this marmot we saw along the trail on our way back to the lodge.
Around Logan Pass, the goats ignored us, sharing the trails with the human hikers.

A group of rams ran across the trail and quickly moved away from human contact but still close enough for a shot of the impressive horns on this guy.
We just caught a glimpse of this bear from the bus.  It is barely good enough to see that it has the concave shaped face of a grizzly rather than the convex profile of a black bear.  While I wish it had been out in the open for a better shot I was glad I was in the bus rather than in the woods, up close and personal!
Linked to Camera Critters

13 comments:

Sylvia K said...

I do love your "critter", Martha!! Such delightful captures for the day!! Have a great weekend!

biebkriebels said...

Love all the animals you saw! The moose is huge, I once saw one in the woods and passed her by accident, a female. She didn't do anything thank goodness.

Gaelyn said...

Great wildlife sightings, especially the griz from inside the bus.

eileeninmd said...

Martha, I love your Glaciers critters. Especially the moose. Great shots!

Unknown said...

Awesome sightings!

Judy said...

Glorious selection of wildlife!!!

Linda Reeder said...

Very impressive wildlife sightings. All the biggies!

Barb said...

You saw some impressive specimens. There's a moose visiting the trails near my house. So far I've not encountered him.

Huldra said...

So many wildlife beauties! Thank you for sharing :)

TheChieftess said...

Nice shots!!! We were in Denali in Alaska a few years ago and never saw a single animal...a Ptarmegan, but no animals!!!

Katney said...

You did perfectly well without tripod, and I will leave the sitting and waiting to the pros and take my wildlife shots serendipitously. We will see next week what critters we might encounter at Crater Lake. No moose or grizzlies for sure, but could be black bear and marmots, and definitely chipmunks and camp robbers.

Janie said...

Great wildlife photos! I'm glad you didn't encounter the grizzly without the protection of metal around y ou.

Janie said...

Lovely wildlife photography! The marmot and the goats are my favorites. I'm glad you didn't encounter the grizzly up close!