Monday, October 5, 2009

Michael's World

I thought it was time to leave the natural world for a bit and revisit Michael's world.


Before Michael came into our lives I had little knowledge of the world of "special needs"children.
People like Michael are safest living at home with loving family members, people who know him well and can interpret from his behavior if something is wrong.


Michael goes to a special school and has an after school caregiver until his parents return from work. But, he needs help with skills they do not teach in school, skills that make it easier for his family to care for him, for this he has a special therapist.

Shannon is a very patient young women who helps him learn "adaptive skills". She helps him learn to follow directions.
She teaches him to use an assistive communication device to ask for what he needs.
She assists him in feeding helping him to impove technique. I can attest, there is a lot of room for improvement. When school and therapy are over, he likes to kick back and relax, just like anyone else.
He concentrates on putting the toy together. He doesn't see why Grandma is busy with her camera and not holding his hand.
"I want to go for a walk, forget the photo shoot" at least I think that is what he would say if he could speak.

I had hoped to take him to the accesable playground and Griffith Park but it was 100 degrees and he was not feeling well so we all stayed home.

We enjoyed our weekend with Michael and his parents enjoyed their weekend away. Generous child that he is, he shared his cold with Grandma, it was worth it to spend time with this special child.

To view more worlds click the patch at right.
This meme is hosted by Klaus, Sandy, Wren, Fishing Guy and Louise

25 comments:

Barb said...

Dear Martha,
Your loving explanation of Michael's special needs brings tears to this Grammy's eyes. He has a wonderful smile, and I love the photo of him "kicking back!"

Anonymous said...

your post is so heart warming and also made me sniffle a bit. i bet he would love the train at griffith park (it still runs?). thanks for sharing a little of michael's world with us.
many hugs.

Snap said...

Martha,
Thanks for sharing your special Michael with us. What a wonderful smile!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Martha: Certainly a special little boy with his own gifts of life.

Photo Cache said...

What a special boy. I'm glad you found someone to teach/assist him outside of school setting. May her tribe increase.

My entry is at www.ewok1993.wordpress.com

Lindy said...

Such a handsome young lad with a beautiful smile. He is fortunate to have you for his Grandma. :)

Sylvia K said...

Thank you, Martha, for sharing such a very special young bog. He does indeed have a beautiful smile. Your photos are marvelous. You are both fortunate to have each other!

Thanks for sharing!

Sylvia

Janie said...

Thanks for sharing a little of Michael's life. I'm glad he's getting lots of help in adapting. You're obviously a wonderful, loving grandmother. Sorry you caught the cold!

Carver said...

This was an excellent post, very informative and also love the shots of your grandson. I'm sorry you have a cold and hope his and yours will be short lived.

SandyCarlson said...

What a sweet-faced boy. He looks very loved. I love the casual look with the feet up!

Lew said...

The world needs more people like Shannon. Her patience, as well as yours, will help Michael ain confidence in his own abilities.

Ebie said...

Hi Martha, Michael has grown big already, since you last featured him in our World. He is so lucky to that there are "special" people around him who cares. That is a cool shot in his laid back position. I give credits to Shannon and other caregivers, for all the patience. Well, the weather has cooled off now and we are at low 70's. I end my comment with a teary eye. Take care!

Nina said...

What a wonderful expression of Love. My nephew taught us so many lessons. Patience, repetition, patience, practice, patience compassion, patience, Love, etc...Enjoy the Laughter that he brings into your life, for he is Joy. Thank you for sharing this little piece of Grandma's heaven with us. Blessings to you and yours. Love and Light, Nina P

dianasfaria.com said...

Martha I always enjoy hearing about Michael. You are a loving devoted grandmother, a beautiful part of your world that I am glad you have shared.

PERBS said...

Hi, Michael. Yes, I am addressing this comment post to you! I am so glad your Grandma shared your life with us. You look like you are eager to learn many things. I bet Grandma learns a lot from you too! Keep on keeping on and sharing joy with your Grandma!

Lee Spangler said...

Thanks Martha for reminding me how important it is to contribute for the common good.

Marites said...

this is really a good post and a good reminder for everybody. I find it admirable that even with his limitations, Michael strives to learn.

My world entry is up here.

magiceye said...

beautiful post
reality check

Diane AZ said...

Thanks for another glimpse into Michael's world. Heartwarming post. :D

Lisa Wilson said...

What a wonderful post! I'm so happy that Michael has such a loving family.

Anonymous said...

Lovely post about your grandson's world ... how wonderful that he has the support he needs to flourish.
Hugs and blessings,

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Me again. I received a blogging award and passed it on to you.

Buck said...

You GO, Michael! Wonderful post, Martha. Wonderful.

Gaelyn said...

Bless you all for recognizing how special Michael is.

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Oh, I didn't catch that Michael is your grandson.