Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Sky shots for the Birds

We went for a walk and I didn't bring my camera, bad idea. We spotted a swainson hawk with lunch, a snake. He took off about 100 feet in front of us, snake in talons. Now the camera will come every walk, the hawks are back in town for the winter.
But waking through the nearby oak woodlands the first thing I saw was a woodpecker.
Later I found a flicker on this dead branch.
Then I found my hawk. This isn't the same one I had seen before though it might be a Swainson, I'm not that good a birder. He seems to think he might have spotted lunch.
Off he went. He seemed to be after some song birds but they were a little quicker.

A lot of hawks winter in our area. I am starting to see them on fence posts and power poles. Soon kites and harriers will be a regular sight in the open areas and the sharp shinned hawk will be checking out the birds at my feeder.

To see what is in other skies, click here.

22 comments:

Gaelyn said...

Never go for a walk without your camera. Glad you went back out. Nice shots of the hawk.

ninja said...

The best sights happen when Your camerless.

Regina said...

Lovely skies. Such an amazing captures!
"My SkyWatch Post"

Guy D said...

Excellent shots Martha, and I love your header pic as well, its outstanding.

All the best
Guy
Regina In Pictures

Anonymous said...

your new header is great...
enjoyed your captures of the birds against the autumn skies.
have a fab weekend.

Sylvia K said...

Love your fall header shot! What great shots of the birds! And, yes, why are we always cameraless at the worst times???? I guess I ought to start wearing mine around my neck!

Have a great weekend, Martha!

Sylvia

Janie said...

Beautiful bird photos. I'm glad you remembered your camera the second time around. Great header shot!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Great photographs especially of the birds in flight. That is very hard to do.

storyteller said...

Lovely photo series! I'm glad you had your camera along to capture these wonderful birds.
Hugs and blessings,
My Sky Watch

Diane AZ said...

I like the red cap on your woodpecker. That must have been exciting to see the hawk fly away with the snake!

Linda Reeder said...

Wonderful pics of the watchers from the sky.
Love your header!

Anonymous said...

Not too long ago I read a book asking whether one would be willing to give the small finger if then able to fly - yes, I would, luckily flying into one of your photographies.
A wonderful Friday for you.

Photo Cache said...

First cardinal rule of blogging --- Never leave home without the camera, unless your phone takes photos too. Still that's never the same.

Have a good weekend.

Inday said...

The birds and the sky make perfect soul mates.

Time to revisit my once regular hangouts and hideaways.

Lilli & Nevada said...

beautiful photos

Ebie said...

I love your new header!
Perfect day for birding!
I carry my camera at least 3 times a week, just in case.

imac said...

Hi Martha, cool shots and well captured.

Thanks for your visit and kind comments.

PERBS said...

oh my gosh . . . a walk with no camera? Unheard of here! I am shocked that you did not bring it and have it to capture that picture . . . but you described it so well, I could almost see it in my mind.

I am never without my camera --well, one time I forgot to put it in my bag from the computer and I went hoem to get it before I went any further. lol

Dewdrop said...

Darn, I hate it when I miss the cool shot! Great shots that you did end up getting though!

Tammie Lee said...

you found so much wonder in the sky. Lovely post.
Spirithelpers

Lisa Wilson said...

What great photos!

Sam said...

Oh! A woodpecker!!! Lovely birdie shots!!