Monday, October 22, 2018

Along Moonstone Beach

Moonstone beach is a wonderful spot to stroll.  Whether one stays on the boardwalk along the bluff or ventures down to the water's edge it is well worth a trip to Cambria, California.

Up on the boardwalk you can get a great view of the ocean and beach.  There are several of these driftwood structures down on the beach.


I wish I knew what this plant is.  They were common along the boardwalk, some not quite finished with their bloom others dried out.


The cypress trees along the walk had lovely mature cones.


Jules found the footing too uneven to venture onto the beach so I went alone to view its treasures.


Tide pool always lure me to explore.


I saw lots of anemones


but only one seastar.  This one was covered with snails and hermit crabs occupying snail shells.

If you find yourself in this part of California try to make time to walk along Moonstone Beach.
Find other parts of our world at Our World, Tuesday.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Hello Martha, i love doing what you did too, though of course what we see are totally different species as we live on the opposite sides of the globe. It is truly fun doing that.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Someday I hope!!! Beautiful pictures.

Katie (Nature ID) said...

Oh, I love a good ID challenge. I first did a highly unscientific search of images for "dried seed pods" until I found something that looked like yours. Then I went to Calflora, checked SLO Co. and entered "teasel". Your unknown plant is Fuller's teasel, my best guess Dipsacus sativus (not D. fullonum which is also found in the area) based on the shape of the involucre bracts that I can see in your photos (http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/eflora/eflora_display.php?tid=23137). While both are considered invasive non-natives, their historical uses are fun, including hair combs, wool carding, and of course, flower arrangements. Hope this helps!

Mmm, Cambria. Makes me want to head down there for lunch at Robin's.