Friday, April 17, 2009

Steam Locomotive No. 844

I hadn't intended to post this weekend but when I heard on our local NPR station that a steam locomotive would be on display Saturday at the railroad yards in an adjacent town, I had to investigate.
The Union Pacific site had the train's schedule and gave updates on its progress from Reno over the Sierra to Roseville. When we knew it was getting close, we got in the car and drove about 8 miles to the old train station in nearby Loomis.
Quite a few others had the same idea.
We heard it before we saw it and then the gates came down and the bells clanged. Here she comes!


And there she goes!
She was really moving along. The railroad had added a couple of diesel helpers to get her over the mountains.
I was surprised at how long she was.
For more information about No. 844; for its schedule click the links.

5 comments:

Diane AZ said...

Fun post with great shots. I could feel the excitement of everyone present. :)

EG CameraGirl said...

How cool is that! I especially love your photos of other photographers trying to capture the locomotive. ;-)

Ginnymo said...

I love old trains but have never been on one in my life. Great pictures!!! What a fun day for you!!

ninja said...

Lhasa Apso and shi tzu are the closest dogs and that Tibetan story I told applies to both.

Jenn Jilks said...

What fun!