Monday, February 15, 2010

Auburn, California--My World

After a hike in Hidden Falls Regional Park, Hubby and I decided to go to nearby Auburn for lunch. Most of the local shopping has moved away from Old Town Auburn leaving it much as it was in Gold Rush days. A nice place for tourists and even locals to wander and stop for a bite to eat.
We had heard the old Tsuda Grocery had been turned into a Deli and that it was quite good. It had been promoted as a New York style deli but except for the Ruben sandwich it was very California and very good. Hubby had the Ruben and I had the Veggie, Yum!
After lunch we stopped in the co-op gallery in the old livery stable. I like to see what the local artists are doing.
I had to get a shot of the old fire station.
Old Town is anchored by the Court House up on the hill.

In May the Amgen bike Tour of California will make a circuit through Old Town Auburn on its way from Nevada City to Sacramento.
After it leaves Auburn it will go up to the Foresthill Road and cross this bridge, the highest in California and the third highest in the country.

She more views of the world at Show Your World, hosted for us each week by Klaus, Sandy, Wren, Fishing Guy and Sylvia.

21 comments:

Barb said...

Hi Martha, I'm going to have to show Bob these photos - he's always looking online about the Tour. I think they changed one of the routes last week - I sure hope they don't "adjust" much more since we have our rooms already! I like the fire station. I would not be looking down if I was riding across that bridge!

Joanne Olivieri said...

Martha, Oh, thanks for this post and the photos. It's been a few years since I have visited Auburn but love it there. We like to take a trek up there through Auburn, Placerville and Sutter Creek. I love that old town charm and feel. Great post.

Loran said...

What a cool old fire station. I can help but notice the distinct lack of snow. I'm so jealous.

Noelle Johnson said...

I love this area. We visited Grass Valley some years ago and went through Auburn. Thank you for sharing your photos.

happily retired gal said...

Looks like a fun outing ;-)
I love the firehouse ... how unique!
Hugs and blessings,

Diane AZ said...

Auburn looks so charming, cyclists must enjoy going through there. I like the fire station and the bridge.

Gaelyn said...

This sure is a cute little town. I really like the tall bridge.

Lindy said...

What an interesting little village. I'm glad I don't have to ride my bike to get to that bridge!

Sylvia K said...

It does look charming and I love the fire station! Magnificent bridge! Looks like a fun place to spend a day! Love your photos, as always, Martha! Hope you have a great week!

Sylvia

Noel Morata said...

sweet auburn...i loved visiting there awhile ago....still looks the same, bet breakfasts is good the the cafe there!

Paulie said...

What a neat place! I especially loved the old fire station but all is nifty.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing these photographies of a place, that I only saw before on TV, being reasured now, that it indeed exists.
What a great contrast of this city over here.
Please have you all a wonderful Tuesday.

Unknown said...

It looks like a very picturesque town, love the fire house, so unusual!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Martha, that's a lovely town and a part of CA we're not real familiar with. I'm gong to do some research -- maybe a RoadTRek trip next time we're in the State!

Photo Cache said...

I have always driven by Auburn and each time I wanted to stop and explore the area. However, time was always against us. One of these days, I will have to stop by and explore the area on foot. Thanks for showing it to me.


www.ewok1993.wordpress.com

Carolyn Ford said...

This looks like such a fabulous area to visit! The firehouse is so unique...nice informative post, Martha!

Oman said...

awesome structures of a neat place. thanks for sharing your world.

magiceye said...

a pretty world!

Wolynski said...

If not for the modern cars, we could be in a different century. What a lovely town and great photos.

Ebie said...

Auburn is a quaint beautiful town. That's a nice photo of the bridge.

P.S. Would you have a chance to meet up with Barb?

Lew said...

Interesting little town! Glad they have preserved its character.