Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Happy Isles



What better place for watery scenes than Happy Isles in Yosemite.


My mother loved this place and so do I, a couple of little isles in the Merced River.
The sound of the water tumbling over the rocks is so loud in spring you can barely hold a conversation.
When you are finished listening to the "water music" walk over to the nature center.
The dogwood here are among the first to bloom in Spring.
Don't forget to check out the displays in the center and the exhibit behind the building that describes a fatal rock slide that occurred here in 1996,

Now lets hop on the free shuttle and go to Mirror Lake.
The shuttle drops us off a mile from our destination but that gives us a chance to walk along Tenaya Creek and view the dogwood. Here, in the shade, it is in an earlier stage of bloom. The green color here is evidence that what we thought were petals are actually bracts, a modified leaf covering the flower. It will turn white as it opens.
Now we have reached our destination. I had to make two trips. The first time we walked up to the lake the wind was blowing and the reflections were not good. I went back the next morning while the air was still. In a few months the lake will be gone and you will have to wait another year to see in the mirror.
Tomorrow, if you like, you can join me for a walk around the valley. I'll meet you at the shuttle stop at Happy Isles.

To see more watery sites and sights, click here.

22 comments:

Guy D said...

Great photos Martha, what a beautiful location.

Cheers
Guy
Regina In Pictures

Linda Reeder said...

What a great blog. I want to add yours to my blog list. thanks for leaving a comment so I could connect with you.

Leora said...

I would love to go for a walk there. Enchanting. Love your shot with the white dogwood flowers against the blue blue sky.

Inday said...

Majestic view of Yosemite, blooming trees, flowers for the bees to make honey, running rivers, a quiet lake to spend a meditative moment ...ahhhhh world of waters and blessings! You got them all beautifully Martha. The river especially reminds me of my childhood fun time and sad time as well.

Photo Cache said...

Oh the heavenly Yosemite. I am planning to visit before the month ends. I hear the waterfalls are roaring right now.

Great post.

My entry is here, www.ewok1993.wordpress.com

Vagabonde said...

Really beautiful pictures of the stream and the placid lake. I have your blog on my “reader” list so I won’t miss any of your pictures.

Ginnymo said...

Awesome photos Martha!!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Great pictures. I especially liked the last with the reflection of the sky and mountain.

Beach House Dreamer said...

Beautiful. Yosemite is still on my Want list.

Barb said...

Wonderful water shots, Martha. Makes me want to visit Yosemite again!

Ebie said...

Good for you, it was worth coming back for the perfect mirror picture. I want to go back to Yosemite!

Aino said...

What a wonderful place. My watery picture is here: http://www.einontytar.vuodatus.net

Martha said...

Beautiful.

My Watery Wednesday is here: http://makproject365.blogspot.com/2009/05/blog-post.html

aspiritofsimplicity said...

Oh that last shot is so pretty.

Tulip said...

awesome views of pictures. nice shot for this entry.

Linnea said...

Beautiful trip you took us on...I was there last October and it was magical. I love your shot of the Dogwood tree. Can't wait to see more!

mimi said...

this is pretty awesome pictures. i love the views really a breathtaking pictures.

BNS said...

Lovely series of photos. Thanks for taking us along with you. The streams in that area must be full of snow-melt at this time of year.

Mar-Bear said...

Love your blog! I hope to some day to return to the Beautiful Pacific Northwest!
You have a new fan!

Elisabeth's bright side said...

Just wonderful scenery, beaytiful

Anonymous said...

Great photos! I visited Yosemite once, and these photos bring back wonderful memories.

Diane AZ said...

Really enjoyed this nature walk with you. The dogwoods are gorgeous and the reflection in the still water is breathtaking.