Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Spring Thaw on Virginia Lakes



We had our first trip of the season to our summer cabin. The cabin is in the Eastern Sierra Nevada near several lakes. Big Virgina and Little Virgina are lakes you can drive to, for the rest you must hike. There is still to much snow for hiking but it is melting fast.
Big Virginia is at the trail head, 9600 feet.
Little Virgina is about 50 feet lower and the ice is almost gone. You see more snow because you are looking at a north facing slope, the shot of Big Virginia was a more south facing slope where the snow melts earlier.


It won't be long, the ice and snow will soon be gone.
For more Watery sites and sights, click here.

14 comments:

Jim said...

Great shots. Love the reflection in the first one.
Sydney - City and Suburbs

Unknown said...

wow, beautiful shots!

Anonymous said...

Where exactly are these lakes? I am interested to visit someday?

Monica said...

The lakes are beautiful, are they in VA? I've only been in the most Eastern part of your state so it just amazes me to think of it like that.

Martha Z said...

These lakes are on the east side of the Sierras off highway 395 above Mono Lake. Between Lee Vining and Bridgeport California is a pass, Conway Summit. Head west from Conway summit to the end of the road. From there you can hike five miles to the Yosemite back country.

Hilary said...

Ooh, a summer cabin! How fantastic. What amazing scenery - great photographs for Watery Wednesday.

penny said...

Beautiful photos of a scene I never get to see here. Thanks for the journey :D

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures!

Unknown said...

Whoa! GReat shots and I love that first photo too. It just amazes me how the waters really freeze so hard like that 'coz we don't have it here. :)
Mine is here:
Today's Blah...

Lisa Wilson said...

Looks like a beautiful place to spend the summer! Yea for snow melting!

Barb said...

Hi Martha,
Your shots from the lakes reminds me of my world here in CO - I live at 10,000'. Thankfully, the snow in my yard is melting quickly. Some of my garden flowers are out & turning green - hurray! Have a wonderful summer at the cabin.

Vagabonde said...

I like the photograph of Little Virginia a lot, it looks so serene.

Arija said...

Don't you just love the ice melt? Interesting patterns on the water and exiting roaring melt streams. The seasons are always a wonder.

Barbara said...

Great captures. I love the reflection in the 1st capture. Have a great weekend. Smiles Barbara