Monday, November 15, 2010

Santa Catalina Island

Hubby has long complained that we have never been to Catalina, an island off the coast of Southern California.  On the way back from San Diego we remedied that.
Our trip started from the Port of Long Beach.  As the song lyrics say, it's  26 miles across the sea.  There is service by various companies several times a day.  One could go just for the day, leaving early in the morning and returning at 7 pm.  We elected to stay overnight.
One of the first things we noticed is all of the tile.  At one time there had been a tile factory on the island and tile work is prevalent around town.
 No cars are permitted on the street that fronts the harbor.  The number of full size cars on the island is strictly limited.  Most people use gasoline powered golf carts.  Since the only town, Avalon, is less than three square miles there is not much need for a full sized car.
 The well mannered pigeon is obeying the rules, getting a drink from the drinking fountain.
 Outside of the town of Avalon, the island is owned by either the Wrigley family (of gum fame) or the Catalina Island Conservancy.  The conservancy was founded by the Wrigley's and given 88% of the island.  To see these remote parts of the island one needs a permit and a sturdy vehicle.  We took a tour in this Unimog.
 Among the sights we saw on our tour was the vineyard the Wrigleys have planted in preparation for starting a winery, bison that freely roam the countryside, the Wrigley ranch and the Airport in the sky.
 For those wanting more adventure there are zip lines, para sailing, kayaking and or course just sitting and enjoying the the sights.
 Some come on cruise ships to spend the day.
 Some come on their own small boats.
At the end of a busy day, we sat and enjoyed the view.

See more of our would at That's My World, Tuesday, hosted for us by Klaus, Sandy, Wren, Fishing Guy and Sylvia.

16 comments:

La said...

What a beautiful area. Thanks for sharing! La

Anonymous said...

It's a beautiful place, so close to Long Beach but yet so far away. I would love to be given a chance to revisit this island.

Thanks for sharing.

Sylvia K said...

Oh, I do love Catalina, but haven't been there in such a long time! Such a lovely place and looks as though it's even more so these days! Love your photos! Hope you have a great week!

Sylvia

Barb said...

Now you have me humming the song, Martha. I've stayed on Coronado Island but never Catalina. It looks idyllic.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Oh my gosh. The first sentence of this post has been spoken by both of us! My Aunt (she's a spry live independetly 103 who knows more about politics and playing bridge than I do) lives in Long Beach and we visit her every year. Years ago they owned a house on Catalina but that was after Bill and I were married and back then we didn't travel much! My parents of course did.

Since we've been traveling we just never seem to have enough time when we're in Long Beach. After seeing this post I am really eager to remedy that on our next visit to Aunt Sally (which of course I always hope we will have occasion to do again.)

Unknown said...

What spectacular adventure and beauty, Martha! I would be here for an hour detailing all the things I would say about each photo. Love them all!

I could really see myself relaxing here and no cars! Yay!

Peace,
Gina

Unknown said...

P.S. Good point about the buggy belonging in PA and not MA. We were surprised to see this type carriage and the couple in it told us that their ancestors are from Austria and they visit there regularly. The way the horse was decked out did remind me of Switzerland, when I was there. It was a fun chance to run into these folks and their horse. Thanks for the comment.

Linda Reeder said...

I knew nothing about Catalina, except the song. I had no idea it was Wrigley owned.

Gaelyn said...

I've never been to Catalina so I'm glad you took us along. The tile work really adds a nice touch. I sure like the idea of limited cars and that sure makes sense on an island so small. That Unimog you toured in is like the ones in South Africa. Zipline looks like fun. Great shots!

Indrani said...

Stunning scenic shots.

Arija said...

What a lovely post of this varied and interesting island. Nice to have philanthropists around who give up so much of their land for conservation.

Marites said...

looks like a beautiful place to take some vacation off. I'd like to try the zipline:D great captures!

My world entry is here.

Paulie said...

I lived in Long Beach for a year -- I never knew it had tours from it. . . I think I did see the Queen mary across the way tho once. Looks like you made some more good memories!

Ebie said...

Beautiful photos Ms Z. The harbor view is gorgeous! I've been there only once to visit a friend who practically lived there for more than years as a caregiver. But that was before the digital age, not so great photos.

Good idea, staying overnight.

BraCom said...

sorry for the late reaction, but I had to do my job the whole day

Beautiful My World Tuesday posting

Have a nice week,
Greetings, Bram

Link to My Word Tuesday post!

Seen on My World Tuesday

SandyCarlson said...

That is a beautiful place. Thanks for the tour!