Monday, August 15, 2011

Mono Inn

I rarely post about commercial establishments but on occasion I see fit to break my own rule.  This is one of those occasions.
The Mono Inn sits on Highway 395 a few miles north of Lee Vining, California.  It was built in 1922 as a health resort.  When we built our cabin 25 years ago it was a family run restaurant with good food.
 Later the Inn was purchased by the Ansel Adams family and managed by his granddaughter, Sarah.  It was filled with prints of Adam's photos as well as other photographers.
For some reason, the Adams family closed the restaurant a few years ago and it sat empty until being reopened last May.

The site has a history dating back far earlier than the resort, though.  Next to the inn is this monument to Kit Carson's daughter whose grave is near by.  
Mark Twain visited the area and wrote about it.

But it is not the history that draws us, or the connection to Ansel Adams or even the food, though it is still quite good.


No, the attraction is the view.  
I sits on a bluff to the west of Mono Lake and the view is spectacular.  If one is lucky enough to be there when the moon is near full the location offers an additional bonus, a view of the rising moon.

See more views of the world at That's My World, Tuesday, hosted for us by Klaus, Sandy, Wren an Sylvia.



23 comments:

Sylvia K said...

I can see why you would love to go there and it does have an interesting history, but what an awesome, breathtaking view, Martha! Superb captures, particularly the last two. I could spend some long hours there!! Hope you have a great day!

Sylvia

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

Isn't it nice to see the lake slowly recovering? I love this area.

eileeninmd said...

It does have a lovely view and an interesting history. If I am ever in the area I would like to visit and eat at this restaurant.

EG CameraGirl said...

And the view is wonderful, I agree!

Unknown said...

Gret spot!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Anonymous said...

What an oasis.

Please have a good Tuesday you all.

daily athens

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing this. i'll keep this in mind the next time i find myself in the neighborhood.

Indrani said...

Great views indeed.

Arija said...

What a lovely place to be sure. I don't often post abput commercial establishments either, yet I have done so twice, once about a friend's cherry farm an d also about our favourite Chinese restaurant. I would love to et at your place some time.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I'm very glad you did break your rule. What a great place. I'm so glad it was reopened. Did they keep the Ansel Adams photos? Or I suppose the family took those.

But it is the view that makes it I agree. I remember Lee Vining but not the inn. We were in our pickup camper (and not eating out much back in those days). We should go again. (I'm always hollering at Bill when I read your blog to put something on our (mental TBV list. So many lovely places!

Fjällripan said...

Such a wonderful place, I would love tosit there and enjoy the view!

Have a nice day :)

Stewart M said...

Hi there – that’s a great view.

I remember spending a few day in Yosemite being haunted by the ghost of Mr. Adams - he had just a little bit more talent than I can even imagine. Are the prints still there?

Cheers Stewart M - Australia

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

What an experience, you are right the view is the thing. But what a history also.

Gwendolyn L said...

Wow. This is beautiful. The history is a bonus. Thanks for sharing.

Jim said...

looks like a beautiful place.

Karen said...

That's quite a view indeed!

Judy said...

That view is remarkable, even without the moonrise!

Lina Gustina said...

Gorgeous view. I can sit for hours there...

http://www.1sthappyfamily.com/2011/08/bambu-runcing-monument-and-independence.html

genie said...

What a fascinating and interesting post filled with beautiful shots and history. I love Ansel Adams’s work. The closest I can get to any of it is in a calendar. Thanks for sharing this wonderful series with the rest of us. genie

Janie said...

The history is interesting, but the view is a knockout. Great photos!

Linnea said...

What interesting history of this place. I stayed in Lee Vining a few years ago. Missed out on this inn...the restaurant was probably closed when I was there. It's such a lovely area around Mono Lake.

Beth Niquette said...

I have driven past this spot before. Now I have reason to stop next time through.

Raine said...

A view of the rising moon? Wow, I could almost picture it in my head of a spectacular sight it brings.