Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Eastern Sierra--Virginia Creek

We went up to our cabin last week and I went hiking for the first time this summer.  Jules no longer feels confident in his hiking ability so I headed up the trail on my own.

In spite of all the fires in California and Nevada the air was crisp and the views spectacular.
I never tire of these lakes but I did get tired.  Since we spend most of the year near sea level the 9,600' elevation is starting to get to me.  I made it, six miles round trip with 1,000' elevation gain.  Back at the cabin I collapsed in the hammock for an hour.
We needed some distilled water for the batteries (our off the grid cabin uses solar cells to charge batteries for night time energy) and saw that there was a new fire in the area.  Now, five days later it is 85% contained.
Traveling further down the road we found evidence of nature's resilience.  The Marina fire burned this slope five weeks earlier and there is already new growth.

4 comments:

Owlfarmer said...

Gorgeous shots as usual, Martha. I do admire your stamina, especially. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been able to make it.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

It does look crisp and clean there. I visited my father in Idaho last month and the air was hazy from all the forest fires in the area.

It is amazing how nature immediately starts healing the land after a fire.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Martha -- I am glad your cabin is OK and that you were able to visit. We are at the point where Bill doesn't want to hike much or walk far ... life is full of adjustments. Good for you doing the hike on your own. I need to borrow some of your courage and independence.

Gaelyn said...

Nice to see you got up to the cabin and out hiking. The land is resilient and although fire is not pleasant life returns.