Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Birds Along the California Coast

I showed some of the sea mammals (here)  I saw on our trip down the coast highway but we also saw a lot of coastal birds.  Moss landing is not just a place for spotting sea otters it is also a great birding spot.


We watched these terns and pelicans for awhile, they were hanging out near the otters.

Then we moved to an area with shallower water to see some wading birds like these two egrets, a great and a snowy.


I managed to catch a shot of some sand pipers in flight.














This curlew posed nicely for me and gave me a nice series of images. 









For some reason it made me think of a ballerina.

 
 Down at Cambria we saw a regular feeding frenzy of the pelicans.  They dived straight down into the water. 
 Find more birds at Wild Bird Wednesday


3 comments:

Adam Jones said...

I love the shot of the two Egrets. A great size comparison between the two.

Grandma C said...

Nice shots of the Curlew, I never noticed the patterns on the feathers before.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

The curlew series is wonderful! I too love seeing the snowy and the great together like that.... perfect for comparison or for a newbie to learn ID (those are two of the rare ones that I know for sure by now, but for a beginner, this photo would be textbook!) Love the terns ... all in all I wish I'd been there! thanks for the great shares.