Sunday, March 3, 2019

Some Local Birds


It really isn't necessary for me to go out to the rice fields as I did for an earlier post.  We have wetlands right here in Sun City and Jules and I took a walk there to see who we could find.

Northern Flicker














Many birds were perched in the trees at the edge of the wetlands.




























Don't know who this little guy is but it sure is cute.


I'm pretty sure this is a yellow-rumped warbler.




Nothing unusual about these two, robins and hawks can be found everywhere.

Blue Heron

It is the birds of the wetlands that I most enjoy.  Growing up in Los Angeles I had little contact with birds like these.
female bufflelhead





















pied-billed grebe





















It was a cloudy day and this group was on the far side of a pond so it was hard to get a good shot.  In addition to the ubiquitous mallards I spotted northern shovelers, American wigeons, and green-winged teals.

Green-winged Teal
Of all the birds I saw that day, the one below would be worth the walk even if I had seen nothing else
.

This green heron was hunting just a few feet from the path.  He slowly rotated allowing me several views.

Find more views of our amazing world at Our World Tuesday.
Find more birds at Wild Bird Wednesday.

7 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

You should share these beauties with us at I'd Rather B Birdin' (link on my personal blog). What a wonderful array of birds!

Photo Cache said...

Great shots of the birds. I am partial to the green heron since I saw one in person.

Worth a Thousand Words

Phil Slade said...

Great bird shots. The Green Heron is especially lovely. Not sure about the LBJ - I need to look that one up.

Anu said...

Hello. Wonderful serie of birds!

betty-NZ said...

What a wonderful variety of birds! I'm a bit partial to herons and hawks, but that green egret is just fabulous!

Tanza Erlambang said...

beautiful series of photos. Love them.
have a great weekend

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Great birding walk! I like the water and shore birds best too , not least because their patience allows me to occasionally get a decent photograph. I don’t do as well with the tiny flittering perching birds. You do beautifully with all of them