Saturday, March 30, 2019

Which Way is Up?

We were back to our favorite place, Yosemite,  recently and I took my lensball to the bank of the Merced River.


The reflection of the trees in the river which would be upside down is now right side up.

When flipped in post processing the image is less confusing to the brain.  Which is right?  Whichever the viewer finds most pleasing.


In this view towards Half Dome the inverted view of that iconic rock seems a bit hard to pick out but the blurry image in the background can only be Half Dome.

 
When inverted the blurry image becomes just a shadow but Half Dome is obvious in the lensball.  I recall an experiment I once read about where subjects wore glasses that inverted the image.  Eventually their brains  accommodated and turned the image right side up.  I don't think I would like a topsy-turvy world but in photography it can be interesting.
The lensball is a fun addition to my camera bag but will never replace my Canon lenses.

You can find more reflections at Weekend Reflections.

2 comments:

James said...

Very cool! I love these round reflections!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

That lensball does amazing things --- but it takes a talented photographer as well. Thank you for sharing. I'm glad you got back to Yosemite!