Saturday, August 15, 2009

North Cascades Walk

Newhalem, Washington is a company town owned by Seattle Light. It is a lot bigger than the ten house hydro-camp we lived in for 15 years. This interesting sculpture made of insulators sits in a park behind the visitors center.
The Trail of the Cedars is an easy nature walk that starts across the Skagit River from Newhalem.


Strolling through this rain forest you get the feeling that the humidity we experienced was not unusual even if the heat was.
You can look right through this tree but it still lives.
Moss everywhere.
Sometimes you have to look down or you will miss something interesting.
Don't forget to look up, too.

6 comments:

Linnea said...

What a beautiful place...it looks like paradise to me!

IrinaBohemianDance said...

WOW!!Very nice all these photos!!Great shot!

kisses,

irina

EG CameraGirl said...

What a clever sculpture made from insulators. Forests in the northwest are soooo different from the ones in Ontario. No rain forests here...though we may have gotten more rain than the rain forests this year. Enough rain already!

Diane AZ said...

First of all, I love your new header photo, the air looks crystal clear.

I know some people collect insulators, but I've never seen a sculpture with them...very cool!

Enjoyed your Trail of the Cedars photo-tour. I felt like I was really there except I didn't have to experience the sweltering heat.

Sally in WA said...

I've been on that trail many times. I think Newhalem is a great little stop on our trips across the North Cascades.

Honey Mommy said...

Beautiful pictures...except the slug. It looks ENORMOUS!